Saturday, May 31, 2008
New Resident Evil 5 trailer (HD) - skip to the middle
New Resident Evil 5 trailer (SD)
New Resident Evil 5 trailer (on youtube)
Hopefully they will post up a downloadable HD version soon. Anyway, very interesting trailer here. It shows us a lot more details about the new enemies that Chris will be facing and also gives us a better look at the new dark-skinned female character. There is also a neat little reference to Jill Valentine at the end of the trailer. The blond girl (Sherry?) still has yet to be shown though:
I'm hoping that there will be an even newer trailer at E3.
A few things to note from the new trailer:
* Enemies have a parasite that infects their bodies and remains inside, similar to Las Plagas.
* The parasite can protrude from their mouth similar to a Reaper from Blade II except this is an actual parasite instead of the mouth and it can seperate into four appendages in order to grab your character. The parasite can extend very far from the mouth also as shown in the trailer.
* The mouth parasite can grabble the head of your character - imagine the death animation from this, if there is one.
* Chris can take down several enemies with his new punching melee attack.
Very interested to see if these new attacks are on-screen command based after a specific animation like in RE4 or is there a special button to press exclusive to these moves... or are these some sort of counter that may be performed after a dodge?
* Chris has an uppercut melee attack.
* A new Cerberus-like (dog-like) enemy is shown.
* Enemies can still sort of "Plagas out" (head splits open) when shot like in Resident Evil 4. Not to say that these parasites are Plaga.
* A few weapons in Chris' arsenal include the machine gun, shotgun, knife and sniper rifle.
* Chris can use a lantern for a light source while in the dark cave shown - which has some very cool lighting effects, I might add.
* The enemies that look down upon Chris from up high and push some pillars down at him have some deformed mutated faces from a side view.
* A new enemy appears with a very gruesome looking chainsaw. He wears a potato sack-like bag over his head with a hole for one eye to look through.
* The new female character appears to be black. Possibly a local?
* "No worries. My last partner was a woman too."
* A quick glimpse of a worm-like parasite is shown at the end with some blood dripping to the left of it.
The Official Resident Evil site has also started counting upward on the bottom as the bottom countdown ended. Once the bottom countdown ended it started at 25:00:01 and is now counting upwards. ...?
thanks to SolidSnakex from the neoGAF forums for the gifs.
UPDATE (5/31 - later in the day, haha. ;p)
New Official Resident Evil 5 site is now live. It showcases the two main trailers and a few pics that we have already seen but it also has some most interesting wallpapers in the downloads section:
As you can see, the second wallpaper is completely new. I believe the second wallpaper is actually showing us a new character - labeled "Josh". And it seems the new female character's name is "Sheva"... can't make out the second letter in the handwriting all that well. You can also see a much better glimpse of her tatoo on her left arm.
Monday, May 26, 2008
UPDATE (5/27) - Added some info to the Savior battle (see the extra paragraph underneath the ways to stun him during the actual boss fight; there is also plenty more here and there) and added some information for the third Berial fight (see the last option under Mission 19). There is a note about turning off the tutorial for the first Dante fight (right before the actual boss fight). The Blitz strategy for Dante under the enemies section has been updated with a rather interesting strategy of hitting a Blitz physically while electricity is still around him and blocking the shock with a royal block. An extra combination was added to the Rebellion High Time move section under comments - definitely worth a check if you enjoy juggles and like to show off. Added control descriptions for viewing the game clear bonus art under the extras section.
And last but not least, the main walkthrough breakable objects were redone to match the_blood_wolf's red orb guide.
2 things that I want to note in this update:
1) The Aerial Rave and Aerial Rave V mixture that a reader emailed me about is really sweet. Knock an enemy up into the air with a High Time then follow up with the first three hits of Aerial Rave. Quickly change to Dark Slayer then perform the first slash of Aerial Rave V then switch back to Swordmaster and perform another Aerial Rave with Rebellion. You can end the cominbation with Slash Dimension once Dante hits the ground or quickly switch to Trickster while still in the air and perform a Air Trick followed by a Helmet Breaker.
2) Another useful tip that I got was for the Blitzs while fighting them with Dante. Equip Gilgamesh and Royal Guard then run up to a Blitz and hit it with the first punch of Gilgamesh then Royal Block the electric shock that the Blitz would normally hit you with after a physical attack. This will build up your royal gauge and take the yellow electricity off of the Blitz pretty quickly.
There is also plenty more. I am especially pleased with the Berial strategy that a reader emailed me with - Exinguish, air Devil Buster w/Summoned Swords, Showdown, ground Devil Buster, level 3 charge blast from far. I actually added a bit more to his recommenedation.
Anyway, all jokes aside, I have been off Yahoo Messenger now for about 2 years because of my crappy computer from before. I just recently downloaded a new version of Yahoo Messenger and denied 101 requests on my current list that had built up over the two years. It's not that I don't want people on my list, it's just I don't want that many at one time that I don't know, so I simply denied them all.
If you still want to add me then just add me again. I would rather you just email me though or send me a quick instant message since I usually don't add people that I don't know. Please don't add me just to tell me "Hi!" or "What's up" every time that I get online. :) If you're a close friend then that doesn't matter since I am already familiar with you, just let me know who you are.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Anyway, what do you think of the Xbox 360's Achievement system? Will you play a game to simply boost your gamer score, are they fun but not all that important to accomplish, or do you even care about them?
The following is a news story taken from a 1up article that describes some information that GamesRadar previously posted up. The information was taken down shortly after it was posted up.
According to the preview, main character Chris Redfield will be accompanied throughout his ordeal by an as-yet unnamed female mercenary (probably one of the two new female character recently revealed in Famitsu). This character will be guided by the AI when going solo, but a second player can take control at any time. This includes online co-op play, with seamless "jump in/jump out" design. (We're assuming this game will actually have voice chat, unlike the woefully miscalculated Resident Evil Outbreak games.)
And speaking of mercenaries, the preview also revealed that the shoot-em-up Mercenaries mini-game from Resident Evil 4 will be making a return. Gameplay-wise, the preview reports that while the game will still lack strafing, it will add two contemporary features: a cover system to press up to walls and shoot around corners, and the ability to duck and dodge using the right analog stick.
The preview also revealed some new story details as well (and you might want to consider these some really small spoilers, just in case you want to know as little as possible going in). The game will apparently take place in a nameless African country near a line of active volcanoes that stretch across Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Kenya. When the game begins, everyone will at first be uninfected, and this time around it'll be a long-dormant virus released through volcanic activity that turns the locals into zombie-like killers.
Moreover (and you might consider this an even bigger spoiler), the preview states the game will feature a number of classic Resident Evil characters (with Albert Wesker and Sherry Birkin being confirmed), including flashback episodes that'll fill the player in on character histories that haven't been explored yet.
One last bit of information, perhaps just as noteworthy as the co-op, is buried at the end of the preview: that the game will be released in 2009. Many have speculated whether RE5 would make it out this year, but is this casually mentioned date confirmation that it won't see release until next year? Let's hope not...
Also, it is mentioned that the online Co-Op is supposed to be for the entire game.
UPDATE: Full GamesRadar article text with new pics is posted at THIA.
Also the Official Resident Evil site now has a 72 hour countdown.
UPDATE (5/28): 3 new hi-res screenshots on the Capcom Blog.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Stages 101 (died at Dante)
Completed Bloody Palace
Seems as if many of you have completed Bloody Palace. In all honesty, the BP mode in DMC4 seems much easier than the way it was implemented in DMC3 mainly because we now have Nero with his overpowered level 3 charge shot.
I recently tried to go through all of Bloody Palace on the X360 version and stopped around stage 70 for lack of sanity. I really hope that they put some sort of one time save option in the next DMC for those of us that want to take a break for a while and pick up where we left off earlier. It's frustrating to get up really far then have to turn off the game because you have other things to do. For those of you that haven't been all the way through it, it takes about a good 2 and a half hours of gaming to finish all levels.
I'll have up a new poll in a few days, just can't think of anything at the moment.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
- A new trailer will be shown in the very near future.
- For now, Famitsu will show images and some info from one part of that trailer. (intro paragraph written by Takeuchi)
- There's a new female character, shown holding a shotgun and wearing a tank top and boots similar to the ones Jill wore in RE3.
- In addition to areas that make use of sunlight as a gameplay dynamic, there will be darker, shadow-filled areas as well, such as a cavern where Chris utilizes a flashlight. There will be an intense contrast between light and dark.
- Chris is shown using his knife, a sniper rifle above a bridge that's above a river, and of course the handgun.- A few pieces of artwork are shown, such Chris fighting villagers near a crashed helicopter, that same helicopter flying amidst a smoke-filled sky, and Chris witnessing the helicopter being shot down. There's also some kind of garden in the cavern with a giant hole above it, allowing the sunlight in.
- Chris is shown holding a blond girl noticeably shorter than him in a building.
- A picture of a chainsaw and the right leg of its weilder is shown.
- Chris will be up against very powerful enemies once again, and this shot of some creature behind iron bars is reminiscent of Chris's previous enemies, such as CODE: Veronica's Nosferatu (although it was Claire who faced him) and the REmake's Lisa Trevor in the sense that those two creatures were imprisoned at some point as well.
-> Better scan of first page.<-
Sources: cvxfreak, THIA, True-Gaming and absolutezero.
New pics (most likely the same as above) are featured in the latest issue of Game Informer magazine - June 2008 issue.
Source: Capcom Blog
The new trailer for Resident Evil 5 will be showcased on GT TV at 1:00AM on Spike TV... or you can just watch it on Gametrailers.com.
Source: Capcom Blog
Kind of old by now but 1up.com has a few details on the article from Famitsu also.
The last we heard from this series protagonist was in the battle with the Umbrella Corporation 10 years ago. At present he belongs to an extralegal organization; the key to their identity seems to lie in the badge on his shoulder that reads "BSAA." As you might expect (and as the new shots confirm) Chris will be packing quite an arsenal. In addition to his mainstay, the handgun, he is also shown wielding a survival knife and a sniper rifle. Famitsu also points out that Chris carries much of his arsenal on his back -- for example, he has what appears to be a large gun strapped behind his right shoulder -- and suggests the design might be hinting at a new on-the-fly, single-button weapon switching system in RE5.
The Story and Setting
The article states that the game is centered around an "escape from a predicament." The contrast between light and dark is a key visual element (as has been discussed previously); the screenshots and artwork both show this off to fantastic effect. Several shots of helicopters steal the show. One narrowly avoids a midair inferno in the sky, while another lies in a flaming wreckage on the ground. Other scenes show brightly-lit streets, a seemingly deserted village, a long metal bridge over a river, and what looks like some kind of cave or mine. Chris carries a light source in the latter.
Famitsu also provides a little more info about the menace Chris is facing in Africa. This time around the baddies are neither zombies nor Ganados -- and for those who have been concerned, the enemies shown do appear to represent multiple races now. One enemy is pictured toting a bloody chainsaw. The article mentions that during Famitsu's hands-on with the game for the special DVD they released in April, they recalled seeing a scene where enemies gurgle and turn to foam when they die. The real story behind these foes has yet to be told and will probably remain mostly a mystery until the game's release.
The trailer shows two women. One is blond, in a long, red dress, and hard to make out in the images; it seems she and Chris will need to escape together, but the article implies a different approach from the Ashley-escorting sections of Resident Evil 4. The other woman is a dark-skinned beauty who is new to the series. She carries nearly as much weaponry as Chris and looks to be another ally.
In one shot we also see an man through the rusted bars of some kind of cell, hunched over with his arm extended limply; he bears a similarity to the Nosferatu in Resident Evil Code: Veronica, or Lisa Trevor from the original game. In other words, whoever he is, he is most certainly going to be powerful, and is probably a big part of the game's story.
Obscure: The Aftermath FAQ/Walkthrough
I'm a complete survival horror junkie, so whenever I get a hold of a new survival horror I always find some enjoyment in it. Even with the survival horrors that are rather mediocre. Obscure has plenty of good qualities that kept me playing it though and even inspired me to write a little something for it.
I didn't spend near as much time with this guide as my last one, but hopefully some gamers will get some use out of it.
Added a bit of formatting to the Characters section.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Oh, now this game is great. I have heard a bunch of mixed reviews about Turok but I think it's fantastic. Sure the aiming can be a bit hectic with some weapons but I eventually got used to it. Just started up a guide a few days ago for this - I plan to cover the main game, multiplayer matches and Co-Op maps.
In all honesty, I really wanted to write for Turok in the first place, but DMC4 was released on the near exact same date, so I chose DMC4 at that time. Well, now I'm going back for Turok.
Obscure: The Aftermath (PS2)
Certainly not the best survival horror I have played but it does have its moments. The combat is pretty awful, but I still like the game better than the first one mainly because of the better environments and scarier atmosphere.
My full review of Obscure: The Aftermath can be found here.
Streets of Rage 2 (X360)
It is amazing how well this game holds up even now. The gameplay still remains just as fun as it was all those years ago when I first rented this game. Still haven't tried Xbox LIVE Co-Op yet, but I have managed to beat a few people on the Versus mode.