Thursday, January 22, 2009
Resident Evil 5 Demo FAQ
This shouldn't come as any surprise that this guide covers the Japanese release of the Biohazard 5 Xbox 360 demo at the moment, but it will be promptly updated on Monday, January 26th if Capcom changes anything for the North American release and I plan to update it again on February 2nd for the PS3 demo. In all honesty, the only difference I am expecting for the North American release is for the Executioner bug to be fixed - he stops randomly and stands still in the Japanese demo.
Resident Evil 5 Demo FAQ by Berserker
This RE5 demo guide has been quite a while in the making and it should serve as an excellent starting point for a full RE5 guide if the majority of this carries over to the full game. I've been looking forward to writing for this game ever since 2005 and hopefully it will show. Anyway, feel free to look over it if you want. The only real spoilers are in the actual walkthrough.
I've gone extremely deep with this one, even managing to highlight beneficial frame cancellations that I've found - now I just hope Capcom doesn't consider these techniques as "game bugs" and strips them out of the NA version. A word of advice: Learn to play with Type B or Type D controls if you want to perform some extremely useful techniques that I highlight in the guide.
Update (1/21) - Everything is finished, but all of this still needs to be confirmed for the North American demo.
Update (1/22) - Updated a few areas of the guide here and there. Some item descriptions were detailed a bit more.
Update (1/23) - Added some extra tips for the Chainsaw Majini miniboss. A few more tips were added in certain areas along with a game bug in Shanty Town. Some typos were fixed as well. The Intro was enhanced a bit - I'm going to spend more time on it next update though.
Update (1/26)- The walkthrough is now fully updated for the North American Xbox 360 release. [SPOILER]They are both nearly the exact same except for some dashboard adjustments.[/END SPOILER] The PS3 version update will follow next week.
Added an Enemies section and added many little extra tips here and there in the main guide. There is now a Co-op mention under Basics since I can now actually get online with the demo again! The differences between the North American demo and the Japanese demo are now at the top.
I'll most likely go back to update Sheva's sections with better info in the next few days now that I can actually play her again without the need of a second controller - I've been playing two-player, one-player if you catch my drift. There's plenty more info to follow in this guide in the coming weeks. I'm not completely sure what that'll be, but I'll most likely think of something else to add.
- Each of the four secret co-op melee attacks that must be done off of a Majini bounce, now have a youtube video link accompanying them.
- A new youtube link from Yama at www.biohaze.com for knifing enemies as well as other advanced tips can be found in the tips section (last tip).
- I've started listing the various comments for when the assist button is pressed during certain instances as well.
- I added a new animation for the staggering animation when a Majini is shot in the back of the arm - they lean forward and grab the wounded arm.
- The hidden "shiny stone" in Shanty Town was renamed as a "BSAA medal", since that's most likely what it is and will be in the full game.
- I tried to better format some areas. I'll clean this guide up completely once I'm through with everything that I would like to do for it.
- Added more controls to the Controls portion of the Basics section. It should cover every command now. There is an unmentioned alternate run by holding down on the Left thumbstick while holding forward while Type C or D controls are chosen that I didn't know about until a few days ago. I'm still more of an A button runner myself.
- Hazardous Objects and Items/Item Drops section was added under Basics.
- Quick Side Turn Aiming was added to the Advanced Techniques section.
- Added a mention of loading through your inventory in both the basics and advanced techniques sections thanks to BossVirgo19. I also put a separate topic on reloading through the menu while firing that I wanted to emphasize.
- Added some exploitations in the Executioner's AI and Chainsaw Majini's AI that can be taken advantage of at the bottom of the boss fight description for each.
- Beefed up the Major Tip for the Executioner battle a bit regarding the newly found inventory reloading.
- Cleaned up the item display tables in the walkthrough. I still need to make these look better really...
--> GUIDE IS FULLY UPDATED FOR THE PS3 VERSION
Oh yes, the time has come for PS3 fans to take a piece of the action. On Feb. 2nd in the morning hours, the demo of Resident Evil 5 was placed on the Japanese, Europe and North American PlayStations Stores, in that order. The demo clocks in at 942MB total, so set that demo to download and read on.
- Added "Taunting" in the Basics section. It was also added in the Advanced techniques section since it rather useful and its usefulness is not always well known. It can actually change the focus of an attacking enemy to the taunting player. Big thanks to BossVirgo19 for this.
- Added more to the info about shooting an enemy in the upper arm.
- Added a tip on "Performing Chris' Co-op Attack in Single Player" below his list of melee attacks. I've been fiddling with this for the longest and finally found a way! It's not easy, but it's fun to try.
- Changed "Reloading Through the Inventory Menu during a Gunshot" to "Reloading Through the Inventory Menu during a Gunshot or Melee Attack" because both are just as important and are now described in full detail.
- A really neat glitch that gives you infinite time on the Public Assembly was added to the portion just before the Executioner breaks the gate. Big thanks to JillSandwich123 for this impressive find.
- Added a "Maximum Aggression Method" for defeating the Executioner extremely quick.
- Added a "First Floor Metal Door Lock Glitch/Exploit" to the Shanty Town stage. Basically you can bounce a grenade off the building next door from the second floor of the building with the locked door to break the lock and get out of the building early. Big thanks to Adoboros and Mullet Wesker for this.
- Added a tip about tossing grenades over to the BG Production building while playing as Chris and attempting to provide cover for Sheva.
- Added my gamertag and PSN ID for people to join up with me online. Please respect my preferences as listed in the guide. See the new "Joining Up With Me Online" section.
- Under "Playing Online" in the Basics section, added info for the PS3 demo.
- Changed Chris "Uppercut" melee attack for a Parasite partner action to "Upward Knife Slash". I didn't notice the knife in Chris' hand before.
- Added "Pointing with your Gun's Laser Pointer" to the Partner Communication portion of the Basics section.
- Added a few more Shanty Town tips (jumping through the window to knock down the first Majini, kicking the wooden door into the Majini from the back portion of the outside of the Slaughterhouse and knife slashing the Majini in the stall).
- A caution about healing while near the Chainsaw Majini was added to the Chainsaw Majini boss fight in Shanty Town.
- Added a co-op strategy for the Chainsaw Majini boss fight.
- A Majini Behavior/Exploits section was added under the Enemies section for Majini.
- Added the Minimap to the basics section. I haven't even noticed how important it is until playing online - keeping up with your partner.
- Added "The Ultimate Way to Perform Chris' Co-op Melee Attacks In Single Player" to the Basics section. Works like a charm!
- Updated the Co-op melee attacks for each character with several new tips as to obtaining them including tricking online players into helping you!
- Removed Healing from the Invincibility Frames portion of Advanced Techniques since I have been hit one too many times while attempting it. Could have sworn that there some sort of invincibility frame there though.
- Stressed tossing a grenade at the gate in Public Assembly for the first wave of Majini in the tips section for not using barricades.
- Added a Maximum Aggression method for defeating the Chainsaw Majini with Chris and Sheva or both together. It's more like a complete trap with Chris actually.
Much, much more to come in the next few days!
- Renamed "Character Comments" as "Character Responses".
- Added more detailed info regarding critical headshots to the Character Responses portion and added an additional mention of a response during a co-op melee attack. Both characters can actually respond during the middle of a co-op melee attack sequence.
- Added more invincibility frames to the Advanced Techniques section. Here's the full list now:
- While grabbing an item
- While jumping from a platform/vaulting over an object
- Giving an item
- Performing a melee attack
- While recovering from an attack
- While grounded
- While on fire (burning animation)
- While holding up arms to block debris from an explosion
- While performing a partner action (hoisting animations)
- Door kick animation
- During a hold, when your character is winning/losing the struggle
- During the game over screen
- Updated the bookcase trick for defending the building in the Public Assembly. A person online showed me that you can actually do it with both entryways!
- Added the Recovery Swing attack to the Executioner's move list and updated his Berserker Rage just a bit.
- Added a warning about healing in front of the Executioner shortly listed after his move list.
- Added a Maximum Aggression Method for Sheva to the Executioner boss fight and also added co-op strategy for beating him.
- Added a tip for shooting the red explosive barrels while your partner is next to them for the Chainsaw Majini fight. I'll probably receive some hate mails about that one, but hey, it might just save your ass.
- During the Chainsaw Majini fight, added information about running all the way back to the building where the partner action command of hoisting Sheva can be performed - this keeps the Majini off of Chris most of the time.
- Added the Majini with the sunglasses and megaphone to the list of Majini that can be gotten in a co-op melee attack sequence.
- Added "While electrified" to the Invincibility Frames portion of Advanced Techniques. Removed "During the Game Over" screen. I know, I know. You didn't notice that useless mention anyway, did you? DID YOU!?
- Under "Giving Items", added a note that you cannot give weapons during co-op play as well as a mention of the amount of the ammo given per give command.
- Added some extra info under the Reloading through Inventory section and Taunting an Enemy section under Advanced Techniques.
- Added tips about slashing Majini that stand on the car or hop over the gate at the Public Assembly and also added a tip about shooting a Majini while it has climbed to the very top of the fence.
- Added the "Turning Swing" to the Executioner's move list. He doesn't perform this move all that much.
- Added a "If your partner hits the Executioner/Chainsaw Majini with a melee attack early" tip to both boss fights. Each of us has our own playstyle, so this is a good way to add some more heated aggression to the more common approach of attacking them.
- Added a tip regarding shooting the Majini in the legs while on the second floor of the BG Production building in Shanty Town. I've been using this method for the longest but am just now adding it
- Added a tip about using hand grenades to intensify the damage while the Chainsaw Majini is stunned.
- Added a Majini Glitch underneath the Majini Behavior portion of the Enemies section. Basically it lets you attack them while the parasite still protrudes from their mouth if done correctly.
- Added a Flying Parasite Behavior/Exploit portion underneath the Enemies section.
- Added a mention of my full guide below. It's almost as if I'm already one fourth of the way through it already.
- Added a tip about performing a melee attack again for a missed melee attack.
- Added a mention of performing a co-op melee after a partner assist melee attack.
- Added an extra tip for setting up a co-op melee with another player dealing with the partner commands.
- Added a "partner melee attacks an enemy that you have knocked off the partner with a partner assist melee attack" response mention to the Character Responses section.
- Added a mention of a game bug associated with Sheva's critical headshot response.
- Added quite a bit more to the "Pulling up Inventory During Character Animations" section. Here's the full list:
- the moment when your character tosses off or receives a hit from a grappling enemy
- after sustaining a hit
- while climbing a ladder
- while vaulting over an obstacle/jumping/jumping through a window
- while quick turning (NOT INVINCIBLE)
- in between gunshots (NOT INVINCIBLE)
- during a melee attack, ground melee or partner assist melee
- while reaching down to pick up an item
- while healing (NOT INVINCIBLE)
- during reloading animations (NOT INVINCIBLE)
- Added "Herb Combining during Green Herb Use" to the Advanced Techniques section.
- Added an extra tip about pushing the bookcase in front of the window to the "Tips for taking on the Majini outside the building" section of Public Assembly.
- Updated the "Game Plan (Summary of Owning Him)" for the Executioner boss battle. Added a mention of reloading through inventory during a melee attack while hitting the Executioner.
- Added some more tips to the Flying Parasite portion of Shanty Town, edited the walkthrough in some areas of this portion to provide extra info.
- Added a Glitch/Fun Stuff section.
- Added a quote to the intro based on an IGN user's response to my RE5 demo info.
- Added the max ammo per inventory slot for the Shotgun (30).
- Added a Shanty Town Knife Run section. Public Assembly may follow - Executioner knifed.
- Added a tip about how your character will look in the direction of an enemy to the Tips for Both Modes section.
- Added a mention of sniping the Majini with the megaphone while playing as Sheva.
- Added a mention about swapping ammo right around the time that Chris contact Kirk at the Public Assembly.
- Added a note about how a grenade will disappear if thrown directly before the cutscene where the Majini break through the roof in Public Assembly.
- Added a note about how the Executioner is sometimes invincible to a stun under his attack list in the Public Assembly section.
- Added a Public Assembly knife run section.
- Updated the Chainsaw Majini knife slashing section with a better method.
- Added "Grabbing" to the Majini enemy section.
- Updated the Item Glitch a bit.
- Updated the mention of double teaming Majini in Public Assembly. I have actually run across random Majini in that stage that can be bounced around.
- Added in a "Major Tip for Performing a Response" - basically, press and hold the assist button during every response. This works wonders for critical headshots to keep your from saying "Come on".
- Updated the grenade exploit in Shanty Town and the Character Freeze after Resuscitation glitch.
- Added "Immediate Melee Attack after Slashing With Knife" to the Advanced Techniques section.
- Added more tips to both barricading and fighting the Majini outside while near the first building at the Public Assembly.
- Added another Chainsaw Majini exploit dealing with the transformer that he might continually run into.
- Added a "Recommended" method for defeating the Chainsaw Majini and labeled the others as "Alternate".