Monday, July 2, 2007

Darkness will fall.

Wow. I just got finished with The Darkness (X360) just a few minutes ago and I must say this is one of the best FPS's that I have played in quite a while. I'm not really a big FPS (First Person Shooter) fan, but when they have a story this good along with a good single player mode, I tend to find them enjoyable. This one's up there with Deus Ex (Conspiracy and Invisible War) and Breakdown (more of a first person fighter there) in my book.

The main aspect that drags me in is the immersive world that Starbreeze has created here. The characters, voice actors, surroundings, action, as well as story all work well to create a perfect dark atmosphere. The story is surprising and not exactly what I thought it would be like upon first glance. It has a series of twists, one in particular that left me with my mouth open in disbelief. The characters are full of life and add to the story well - even the characters in side missions are interesting. I actually cared enough to perform every side mission that I could find my first time through, which is rare for me considering I usually get bored with extra quests and generally want to plow through the main story as quick as possible with most games.

There is so much eye candy on the screen during fights that combat seems to never get old - I must consume every enemy heart before leaving an area just because watching my shoulder demons feast makes the battle experience feel "complete"! All the powers are useful at one point or another. Some of the powers seem a little too useful early in the game but by the end, the difficulty balances out since the game starts to throw more baddies your way.

The concept of light plays a huge role in this game. The light burns the demon that helps Jackie (main character), so all sources of light can be a threat. I was constantly stopping to shoot just about every lightbulb or streetlight that came into my view out of fear of getting assaulted by a gang of thugs without my cloak of darkness.

All in all, I feel it was totally worth the 60 bucks (well 50...thank you Circuit City!)

9/10
"You see, darkness is the heart's true essence."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie Jackie Jackie!!!!

This game is awesome. Fab Review ;)